Tuesday, November 24, 2009

insanity.

The other night I sat on Rachel's floor with my geometry materials spread out all around me, working through everything to figure out a plan for the next few weeks. While looking at what I could do with my students to cover geometric transformations, I thought it'd be a good idea to just look at the overall scheme of the next few weeks just to see how many sessions of what I had to plan for. As I gridded out the piece of paper in front of me and began to pencil things in, a realization hit me harder than a brick. 3 weeks left. 3 weeks until we're on that plane headed across the timeline back towards the wintry northern hemisphere. This is sheer insanity.

Amanda and I discussed all the plans for the next couple weeks in a general sense, and it just seems so strange that the end of the year is so nigh. I'm planning the rest of my geometry unit - working out what each of the groups needs to be sure to get through as we wrap up our final maths bit. For reading, our groups are each still working on individual tasks. My highest group, Tawa, finally has their novel in and are ready and rearing to get into it. While I'm slightly doubtful whether or not we'll be able to get through every single bit I wanted to with them, I have no reservations about if they'll be able to actually finish the book. It just seems so strange after all the time that I've been here that things are finally beginning to tie off all their loose ends. While it feels like we've been here an eternity, it all seems to have gone to by way too soon.

I know I'm speaking as though the school year ends tomorrow, but in school terms (with everything we have going on over the next few weeks) it will feel like tomorrow.

As I was planning the other night, I've come to realize just how excited I am about the narrative assignments the class are working on. After having studied the various bits and pieces of narratives over the better part of this term, they've finally moved on with their groups onto picking up the quill and scribing their own stories. While some have come up with ideas that had to be questioned, and others have encountered numerous difficulties with other ideas, they're all plodding ahead. Once we're done with the actual writing of the full-fledged narratives, it's on to figuring out just how they want to present their tales of wonder. Some already have their hearts set on movies, while others a play or drama. Some have an inkling of doing a puppet show of some sort, or just moving onwards

So much to do in what seems like so little time.

But I guess for now, the key thing is to keep a good focus and just keep on trucking with the school business. Alissa and I have also thrown a good old American Thanksgiving into the mix as well. A bit of my spare time has been allotted for hunting for all sorts of traditional recipes and ingredients to match up with them. It will be more than interesting to see how it all works out, but, one thing's for sure, our New Zealand families are definitely in for an EPIC night.

Until next time, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment